International conference Ballet in Musical Theater: History and Present Time
Moscow November 21 – 25, 2022
Center for Musical Theater Studies at Gnesin Russian Academy of Music (https://gnesin-academy.ru) in cooperation with Zhiganov Kazan State Conservatoire (https://kazancons.ru/), Saint Petersburg Rimsky-Korsakov State Conservatory (https://www.conservatory.ru/), The Bolshoi Ballet Academy (https://balletacademy.ru/), Vaganova Ballet Academy (https://vaganovaacademy.ru/), State Institute of Art Studies (http://sias.ru), and Russian Institute of Art History (https://artcenter.ru) invite to an international conference “Ballet in Musical Theater: History and Present Time” in Moscow, Russia, November 21–25, 2022.
Call for Papers
The conference “Ballet in Musical Theater: History and Present Time” is dedicated to ballet as a synthetic art and its place in the musical theater. It will be held on November 21-25, 2022 in a hybrid format, ensuring online access to presentations. The aim of this project: evaluation of present-day ballet in musical theater and its research, сonsideration of ballet as a theatrical phenomenon. The theme of the conference relates to the following areas:
- Ballet as a synthetic art
- Music-gesture-dance: coordination and dialogue
- History of ballet
- Sources, reconstruction of scores and performances
- Choreographer and composer
- Ballet music in the works of composers
- Poetics of composition in dance and music
- Conductor and ballet score
- Plots, librettos and their literary sources
- Decorative art and staging in ballet
- Dance at the opera
- National choreographic schools: general and special
- music in ballet pedagogy
- Choreographic experiments of the 21st century
- Ballet art in a socio-cultural context (criticism, reception)
We encourage applications from within the academies at all levels as well as independent researchers, writers and artists.
We have the intention to select papers for a conference. Please send each abstract both in anonymized and unanonymized forms.
Participation with a poster presentation is possible.
Please send proposals to email@example.com no late then September 15, 2022
Emails should include:
- photo close-up in TIFF or JPG format (from 300 to 600 dpi);
- brief CV of each participant, including academic degree, academic title, place of work (position) or study, contact information (phone, e-mail).
- title of presentation.
- Abstracts should be 300-400 words long (without any subheadings) and clearly present a research question/aim, critical review of the literature, results and conclusions. Abstracts should be submitted in pdf and docх.
Presentations should be 20 minutes in length, and will be followed by an additional 5 minutes for questions and discussion.
Official languages: Russian, English, German, French
Full audiovisual support will be offered. For all enquiries please contact the organizing team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration: Free. Рarticipants pay their own travel and accommodation expenses.
Abstracts of the accepted papers and posters will be published online.
Selected revised papers will be published in E-Book Proceedings of the International Conference ‘Ballet in Musical Theater: History and Present Time’
Submission deadline: September 15, 2022
Notification of acceptance: October 1, 2022
Conference: November 21-25, 2022